Top 5 Reasons Why Newborn Photography is Worth It
When you find out you’re pregnant, the list of things you’ll need for your new baby is seemingly never ending. Family and friends will tell you about their “must haves” for newborns and all the products that helped them survive those first few months of parenthood. Newborn photography may not be on that list, but I’m going to tell you why it should be. Sure, I may be slightly biased since this is what I do for a living – BUT – I still think a lot of these things are worth hearing. Here are my top 5 reasons why newborn photography is totally worth the investment.
1. This time is fleeting. Your baby will grow SO much in that first year of life. Even in their first few days you’ll notice little changes in their appearance and personality. This is why the window of opportunity for newborn photography is so short. Those first couple of weeks after birth are the ideal time to capture your baby in their sleepiest, squishiest, curliest phase. Before you know it your baby will be rolling over, sitting up, and then walking. Enjoy this time as much as you can (even though it does come with a whole lot of sleep deprivation!)
2. Photos stand the test of time, baby products don’t. If you already have kids, you probably already know this one. Most of the big ticket items you’ll buy for your baby will only be used a handful of times, or maybe never at all. That swing you thought your baby would love? Well, they hated it. And now it sits there like a weird statement piece in your living room. Professional photos are something your baby will never outgrow. Plus, the whole family can enjoy them! It’s a win-win.
3. It’s an investment that will only gain worth over time. Let’s address the elephant in the room – newborn photography is expensive. Investing hundreds of dollars or more into your baby’s first portraits may not seem like a wise way to spend your money when you have other baby expenses to tackle. This is one of the only investments you’ll make when your baby is born that will grow exponentially in value as they age – unless you’re also starting a college fund. That’s pretty important, too. 😉 But I can tell you that as an adult, some of the most valuable things I own are the photos I have from my childhood. I love looking back on my baby photos and I’m SO glad my mom not only took them but took the care to preserve them. I hope to pass them down to my kids and grandkids one day and that is something that’s truly priceless.
4. It really is a job for a professional. I love a good DIY project, but there are certain things I will only hire a professional to do. Chances are you hired a professional photographer for your wedding, right? It’s one of the most important days of your life and you want to make sure the person capturing your big day knows what they’re doing (and can do it well). The same idea applies here. Newborn photography is a super specialized area of photography and you really only have one shot to get it right. It’s so much more than having a fancy camera and a few cute props. Most newborn photographers (myself included) have spent years studying their craft, perfecting their posing, lighting, and styling. You don’t want to hand your brand new baby over to just anyone. And while you may have family members or friends who know their way around a camera, it’s not the same as hiring someone who has invested the time and money to know how to do it the right way. This is why you’ll pay more for professional newborn portraits, but the result is well worth it.
5. You won’t regret it. I’ve saved the most important point for last. Investing in your baby’s newborn portraits is something you’ll never regret. I can’t tell you how many clients I’ve had come in for portraits with their 2nd or 3rd baby and tell me they never did newborn photos with their older children and they wish they had. It’s hard to hear that because these parents know they can’t go back in time and get a do-over. On the flip side, I’ve never had anyone tell me they do regret it. My clients often tell me how much they cherish their baby’s newborn photos, especially when they come back for their baby’s first year portraits and realize just how fast that time flew by. You can’t ever go wrong investing in your family’s memories.
So…did I convince you!? 🙂 If you’ve already had newborn photos taken of your baby did you think it was worth the money? If not, I’d love to have this opportunity to document your baby’s first portraits. Contact me for more information.